I went through the walk-through exhibit, I saw documentaries and became hooked on youtube videos describing human trafficking. I went to Freedom Week Events. I prayed for human trafficking all week. Now what? I know I can pray. I know I can give to organizations. I know I can be aware and be an advocate, but that doesn’t seem like it’s enough. Did you hear the stats? Every minute 2 children are sold into slavery?! 27 million people are slaves worldwide!?! We’ve got to do something NOW!
……ever felt like this? I know I have. These were and have been my thoughts for too long. And, sometimes I become overwhelmed. Today I read some things and was reminded of some Truths that challenged this thinking. Let me share with you, if you will. 🙂
I read John 8:32 and then wondered if I really believed it. “you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free”. Do we believe this? I mean REALLY believe this! Do we BELIEVE that the Truth will set us free? The Truth will set you free. This IS Truth if it came from the Word of God. God cannot speak false or untrue things. It’s against His character to speak anything not true!
If all of this is true, then that means that what we read in Scripture will set us free….if we let it. So, how do we let the Truth set us free? We believe it! How do we believe it? Well, we can’t make ourselves believe it, so we PRAY that God will help us to believe. And God WANTS us to believe! He does! He wants us to believe, because He wants us to have eternal life. That was His motive in sending Jesus – that whoever may believe in Him may have eternal life – John 3:16. So, we know that what we WANT and what we PRAY for WILL HAPPEN IF IT’S GOd’S WILL. You may ask for anything in My name, and I will do it – John 14:14.
So, here’s the thinking.
- It’s God’s will that we believe
- He will help us believe if we ask in His name
- If we want Him to help us believe, we just ask in His name and He does it!
So, what is the Truth? Especially when dealing with a heavy-hearted issue (human trafficking) I have realized that I cannot properly function in life without BANKING MY whole LIFE ON TRUTH! So what is the Truth? These are the Truths that have been important for me to bank on this week as I’ve been thinking/praying/reflecting/planning through Freedom Week.
- God sees the affliction of His people. Exodus 3:7. Then the LORD said, “I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings”.
- God hears our cries. Psalm 18:6. In my distress I called upon the LORD; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears.
- God answers our cries. Psalm 118:5. “Out of my distress I called on the LORD; the LORD answered me and set me free”.
- What is done to a child Jesus considers done to Himself. Matthew 18:5. “whoever welcomes a child in my name welcomes me”.
- Whoever tempts one of Jesus’ precious children to stumble is screwed. Big time! Matthew 18:6 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.
- God does not tempt people to evil. James 1:13. “God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone”.
- God is good. Psalm 100:5. “For the LORD is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.”
- God is jealous for His people (not to be confused with jealous of His people). Exodus 34:14. “for you shall worship no other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God”
- The Lord is a Righteous Judge. 2 Timothy 4:8. “Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.”
- Jesus has authority over Heaven and Hell. Revelation 1:18. “I have the keys of Death and Hades.”
- Jesus will send the unrighteous to Hell. Matthew 25:41 (read verses 31-46) “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”
- Truth sets us free. John 8:32. “you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free.”
- Jesus came that we may be free. Galatians 5:1. “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.”
- God will give justice to His people who ask for it. Luke 18:7-8. “And will not God give justice to his elect,who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them? 8 I tell you, he will give justice to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?